Life is, indeed, very good.

Life is, indeed, very good.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

false alarm

A few weeks ago, we did a fire drill at home. Before you think that we are the kind of family that is organized enough to think of this on our own, this is something required for DCFS foster families, and we've been very delinquent in getting this checked off the list. Anyway, this was the first time we did it, and it was a little upsetting for Joe and even more so for Pete. We had them go lay on their beds and wait to hear the alarm test, then proceed to the said meeting place, etc. We had to spend quite a bit of time explaining to Peter that there wasn't a fire, and that this was only practice in case a fire were to happen.

Last night as I was cooking supper, the smoke alarm sounded (which it often does if something gets smoky...I'll skip the obvious jokes about my cooking :). Peter, without saying a word to anyone, went straight out the front door and stood there on the porch with this terrified look on his face that just about broke my heart into a million pieces. It took Janie and I three or four minutes of coaxing to get him to come back into the house.

I'm glad he remembered what to do when he heard the alarm, but I hope I never have to see that look on his face again.....it just about did me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment