Life is, indeed, very good.

Life is, indeed, very good.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

eating elephants

Today was one of those days where I kept having to psyche myself up. In other words, I had to work really hard to keep the day from going south. It wasn't a bad day. It just could have been. The two main factors, I believe, that required the constant pulling oneself up by the bootstraps were 1) hormones/pms (sorry if there is actually a man besides Tim who reads this) and 2) four science fair projects due on Friday. Our homeschool co-op is having a science fair, and I signed all four kids up for it. What was I thinking, you might ask? Especially when science is not my strong suit and trying to help four kids with projects all at once, well, I don't think I even have to go further with that one. Three months ago, when I signed the kids up, I thought it would be good for them to do it. On Monday of this week I was seriously regretting that decision. HOWEVER, the projects themselves have really not been stressful. It's that we're out of our routine this week while working on them. I am NOT, by nature, a structured person. But I realize more and more that I completely rely on our routine to keep me sane and to help me maintain a sense of order/progress/whatever you want to call it. But I have to say that, even though I am SO not a science person, the projects are all turning out to be interesting and fun. We've had some help from Dad and Grandpa, and Janie has taken off on hers with almost no help at all. And only one trip to the hardware store for sand (and lemonheads - brain food, you know). So it has been a little chaotic and messy, but it's a lesson in "eating an elephant one bite at a time". It seems like that theme has been coming to my mind a lot lately about different areas of life.....steady as we go.....one step at a time.... It doesn't come naturally to this fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants, impulsive girl. But I'm learning to try the idea on and walk around in it. So anyway, I think it will be fun to display the projects on Friday and to see what the other kids worked on.

I had to laugh on Monday...we were meeting with the principal of the school where Janie may attend next year, and he was showing us the computer lab and saying how many kids are way beyond power point and that they don't use poster board anymore. Ummm....because we were about to head home to work on our tri-fold display board. Oh, well! :) We'll tackle that elephant another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment